Monday, January 15, 2007

Anatomy of a 24 Season

A terrorist organization attacks the country and sends the President and his administration off in a wild panic. Civil rights and the Constitution are on the brink of becoming totally destroyed in the name of national security. These dilemmas usually turn up being false dichotomies, brought about by the shortsightedness of the President, his advisors, and usually everyone else in his entourage.

CTU - once again - slacks off on their screening practices and is infiltrated by a terrorist or some other antagonist. The avenue for this security leak is usually due to personal relationships of lonely CTU analysts (Seems as if everyone knows that Chloe is a pretty desperate girl who needs attention, especially from traitors.). This double agent usually ends up fucking them over – hard.

Jack Bauer is needed to make things better. He comes back out of retirement/hiding/being tortured by the Chinese for 2 years, to get the job done. He does not ask questions. He is a Patriot and does what he is told. Usually.

Jack finds the terrorist and ultimately discovers their plan. This plan usually comes to Jack totally unsolicited. When it does not, Jack uses his persuasive skills to obtain this information. This usually involves knives, various acids, and car batteries. We see that ultimately, the ends justify the means and that sometimes cruelty is necessary. And lets face it – torture gets better ratings. Machiavelli would love this shit.

And in law school news, I got a very nice reject letter from “The” Ohio State University. It was pretty much expected, being a non-Ohio resident and being below their medians and all. Oh well, at least I’m still waiting to hear back from “The” University of Florida. Not quite sure why I applied to these schools as I have no intention of attending either of them. I suppose it was because at the time, I was in the “crap, I better hedge my bets and apply to every damn school I can” mode.

Well, time to go watch the second half of the season premiere.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!

I hope this message finds you well. I'm a fellow law school applicant, and I saw some of your posts in the law school discussion forum. I enjoy "24" as well.

If you go to http://www.yourtvlinks.com, you can see archived episodes!

Take it easy! Good luck with your apps!

http://www.xanga.com/cbrob

7:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home