Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Almost D-day

Well I feel like I should make a law school related post, since that is one of the main themes of this blog. The lsats are coming up in 10 days and to tell the truth, I am looking forward to it. I've been studying for about 2 months now on my own and will have done about 20 preptests by the time the 30th comes around. Although I'm looking forward to it, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't anxious about it. Besides, LS adcomms only put about a 4:1 lsat/gpa emphasis on this roughly 4 hour exam. Not only does it determine (to a large degree) where you spend the next 3 yrs of your life, but also how much debt you will have, if you will start at $60k/yr or $120k+ a year, and where you will most likely practice. Yea....the lsats aren't a 'big deal'. I feel bad for the poor bastards who will be walking in on test day with no idea what they're about to get into.

To be a competitive applicant to the places I want to go, I really need to get a 160+. My last few preptests have been anywhere from 158-164. I wish I started studying earlier. 2 months may seem like a lot of time, but when you're working 40+hrs/wk and had to move out completely, it wasn't very optimal. I'm fairly certain I could get comfortably into the high 160's with more time.

At this point, im not anticipating any huge increases in my scores. I'm just trying to be consistent and make sure that test-day anxiety doesn't affect my score too much. To help, I'll be visiting the test site and doing some practice tests there. Worst case scenario, I'll do badly and will have to cancel/retake. I've become pretty good at gauging my performance level for this exam, so I think id have a good estimate of how I score on test day. I'm really not looking to a cancel/retake as an option however. I want to get my applications in relatively early and also have some time to relax and take care of some other things in my life that I've been neglecting. I feel that this stoic attitude is best for my score and my sanity.

I'll be doing nothing but studying from here until next sat. Until then, good luck to everyone on the same boat. Wish me luck.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

good luck! everyone from LSD is rooting for you :)

2:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I'll be taking the LSAT sometime in the next year to enter with the fall of 2008 class. I was reading your post and saw you got a 153 as your first score, that was my first practice test score too and I've been practicing already...Yeah, a year ahead. I figure if I decide what to do now it will help me out a lot. I want t get to the 160s by myself and then take a course this summer to pull myself up another 10 pts or so. I wish you the best of luck and hope you get your highest score on the test.

8:11 PM  
Blogger JammYP said...

Good idea to start early. Don't worry about your first/diagnostic score. I got a 153, but my very first lsat score was a 147. This was done with no prep what-so-ever. It was literally the first time I had ever seen a lsat. I had actually guessed/left blank about 3/4 of the logic games section since I had never seen anything like it before and had no idea how to approach it. I didn't get to the 3rd RC passage either.

My suggestion to you is to be disciplined in your studying habit - this is the most important part. As for prep classes, I don't think they're very necessary. Personally, I found them to be very irritating. The class was only as fast as the slowest person in the class. Some days we would spend 20 mins going over formal logic or old concepts that we had already covered due to an individual either not doing the work, or just being a little slower.

I recommend Powerscore's Logic Games Bible and Logical Reasoning Bible. For reading comp, I found that the best way to do it was to just expose yourself to as many passages as possible. There wasn't any method that really worked. You just need to be able to understand the structure of the passage, not necessarily the content however.

If you feel inclined to take a class, take Powerscore. I have also heard good things about Testmasters. I wish I had known this before I had signed up for Kaplan. Unfortunately, it was too late for me to get my money back from Kaplan after I found out about Powerscore. Obviously, Im not a fan of Kaplan. I could use that $1,200 right about now for those application fees coming up.

Thank you guys for your encouragement. I'll fill ya'll in after I crush this test.

9:29 AM  
Blogger JammYP said...

Finished...test day comments coming soon.

5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home